Slow Carb 4 Hour Body Food Shopping List

With the changes involved in the Four Hour Body regime, we found our first shopping a little confusing, to say the least. All the usual pathways in the grocery store weren’t usable, as we had to go up aisles we didn’t usually visit, and ignore ones we used to.

With another shop under our belt, I thought we’d share our most recent shopping list to help people out.

Slow carb Four Hour Body food shopping list:

(For 2 people – 1 week)

• 12 cans Black Beans (19fl oz/540ml)
  • 6 cans White Kidney Beans
  • 6 cans Lentils
  • 2 bags frozen mixed garden veg (750g/1.9 pounds) – green,white beans, baby carrots
  • 2 bags frozen green beans (1kg/2.3 pounds)
  • 1 cauliflower head
  • 1 broccoli head
  • 5 boxes of chopped spinach (300g)
  • extra lean ground beef (500g/1.6lb)
  • steak (500g/1.6lb)
  • sliced turkey x4 250g = 1kg (2.3 lb)
  • sliced ham x4 x250g = 1kg (2.3 lb)
  • 1 block butter
  • 2 packets (400g) turkey bacon – extra lean (just 1 g fat per slice)
  • 3x 12 eggs
  • 2x egg whites mini cartons
  • lemon juice bottle

We already have:

• frozen chicken breast
  • frozen fish (salmon) fillets
  • 2 large packets baby carrots
  • zucchini
  • lemon juice
  • avocadoes
  • lots of great spices and herbs

For bonus points, try loading all those cans into carry-baskets (don’t use a cart) and do some arm raises, curls and squats around the store. You may look silly, but these can easily be your GLUT-4 exercises before a meal!

1. Starting The Four Hour Body regime Gibsons, BC As the New Year tolls around the world, and I send off messages to friends in other timezones, I have this building feeling about 2011 and just how bursting with potential...
  2. A whole new outlook! (AKA "Boring Food") This type of eating and regime isn't something I'm clueless about. Living with Luke quickly brought me up to speed with lentils, beans, cottage cheese, and a full-on Gluten Free diet. I have...
  3. Putting away the goods Today was cheat day, and it was great. mmm....

74 Responses to Slow Carb 4 Hour Body Food Shopping List

• Adam says:

Ah I love it! Been researching to find if any people have started ‘results’ focused blogs/sites about their implementation of all the amazing hacks found in the 4HB. Will be recruiting about 4-6 people to be my test subjects and, quite frankly, create a site exactly like the two of you have! So funny that I stumbled across this! Will be watching and interacting as I develop my own group!

Hey Adam, thanks for the comment! Look forward to reading up on your results. The results in the book are good, but I’d like a sample set with a lower fat loss requirement, and more re-composition needed. Where are all those 165 lb guys who need to drop 15lbs fat and put on 20lbs muscle? (Perhaps working at a desk like me..). Keep me up to date!

• That would be me lol. I was wondering if youu could share some of your results with me. Im on day 6 of the diet and im actually enjoying but ive read and heard some pretty negative things about it. Im not using any of the supplements, (Only fiber capsules, Multivitamins, and Green Tea Pills). I havent measured for any results, gonna wait until the two week mark. Did it work for youu and your wife? Im 5’1, 179 lbs, just looking to lose some extra baggage around the waist and gain it back in muslce

Hey Patrick,

Good on you for getting started!! Some people might have some negative things to say about any lifestyle change, and lots of the time its people who haven’t found a way to make a change themselves to begin with. Forget about all that. This has worked for literally thousands upon thousands of people.

My suggestion is to stick with the slow carb foods, and get to the gym for 2x 20 minute weights workouts each week. You won’t believe the results in terms of fat loss, and muscle gain, and how you feel after a month or so. Keep it up and you’ll feel totally different, and look it too!

• Chris says:

Hi,

I have just started the 4 hour body approach, one thing I really struggle with are beans. It is not part of the normal diet in Australia.

How do you guys prepare them from canned? I am only really eating them when I can buy them from a local mexican place. I have seen your food photos / diary and would love some tips if you have any, are you just pouring them out of the can with seasoning?

Also struggling with the breakfast, from a time perspective a protein shake might have to be it for me.

Chris

Hey Chris,
      Thanks for your comment. Absolutely the shift to beans was a little odd for me too – born and bred in Melbourne!
      I found lentils to be a good bridge, especially buying ‘red split lentils’ and boiling them so they still have some chewyness. Its a different texture to the other beans, and just as good nutritionally. I enjoy them by themselves, also with some cajun spices on them, and sometimes with some taco seasoning mix.
      For most of the photos you see (more coming very soon!), we have opened the can, drained the ‘goo’, dumped them into a saucepan/pot, added some seasoning like garlic powder/minced garlic, or taco seasoning, or cajun spices, or tomato salsa (no added sugar). All in all, there’s a few different flavours you can get, especially when you rotate between black beans, lentils and white beans, as we are.
      For the white beans, we’re also doing them mashed (very well cooked out of a can) with some water, some butter and some parmesan cheese, sometimes with some cauliflower mashed in too.

Breakfast I’ve been sticking fairly consistently with red split lentils, spinach and cooked eggs – sometimes some spice on the eggs, but fairly bland otherwise.
      All the best Chris, if you have any more questions, please let us know!

• Chris says:

Thanks mate, i think cooking them a bit might help. I’ll cruise the stores, buy each type and see what works. I am keen to make Dahl, as you could cook it up and eat it over a while for lunch etc w/ meat.

For sure that sounds like a good option. I read about a lentil-based pancake.. where people were precooking the lentils, or using canned ones, then blending them and adding eggs, to make a pancake batter. I figure you could add some herbs or spices, I’m more of a spice guy myself. They’d be a little more portable and convenient than making a meal at work, etc.. and you could even get your veg in that mix if you wanted.

• Lauren says:

This diet kinda makes me want to cry. Literally all of my favorite foods have some no-no food on this program. Linguini Alfredo, Pizza, Sushi, just to name a few!! I understand the concept of a cheat day, but it seems still so restrictive for the other 6.

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for your comment, and I really hear you – you’re not alone – there’s lots of people out there who really feel that it’s difficult to rearrange 6 days of meals, every week like the 4 hour slow carb diet requires.
      I think it depends on your goals – there are lots of processes that we go through in life, that aren’t great at the time, or require some large change in something we’re doing, that have great results and benefits. Things like going to college, quitting smoking, and cleaning up garbage spring to mind. All very different, but all with good outcomes. Food is such a personal thing, that it feels much closer to home, but it’s a similar thing. The way Tim Ferriss describes it – the diet isn’t aimed at being interesting or even fun (though many people do enjoy the adventure), it’s created to be highly effective for a specific goal. Maybe you have a friend with a similar goal, and you guys could use each other for support?
      Another suggestion is to consider the pleasure you got from food, and think about other things you could bring into your life so that you’re not feeling like your life is just deprived, compared to what is was like. Something like catching a movie each week, or having a coffee (with cinnamon ;) with a friend are great options to make sure that you still know you value yourself, and that you’re doing all this in love, not in opposition to your body.
      Cheat day is great to help you know that it’s not ‘never’, its just ‘not now’, for those foods you love. Think about keeping a list with you during the week! And remember to measure results.. they’ll give you encouragement that it’s all worth it.

All the best Lauren,

I thought I was the only one that did bicep curls with grocery baskets … LOL … the wife always makes fun of me for that.

We usually buy ground turkey instead of lean ground beef. And buy lots of chicken thigh at costco, big more fat than chicken breast but cheaper.

Did the sliced meat you get have nitrites in it? I try to stay away from that stuff as much as possible, I think Tim mentioned in the book too.

Good Luck and keep going. Love the articles you guys post and I will keep linking to the good ones on my blog too.

Hey Justin, thanks for the comment.

SO relieved to hear someone else is doing curls in the grocery store!! :)

Your comments about the meats are spot on. We’re buying sliced meats, and trying to go for the ‘free from nitrates’ ones too, but availability is making it a little difficult currently.
      We’re buying 4kg boxes of chicken breasts, which work out quite economical and convenient, along with some frozen salmon fillets that have a good amount of protein, esp. if I add some cottage cheese (only occasionally) to the meal.

Really enjoyed your post on Vibram Five Fingers! And thanks for the link backs.. I’ll be reading your blog and doing likewise.

• Mark says:

Hi guys.

Just started 4HB plan last week.

Breakfast has been pretty standard so far. 3 egg (3 white 1 yolk) spinach omlette. Definitely notice the difference in keeping the hunger pangs at bay until lunch time.

Biggest difficulty for me at the minute is coming up with ideas for meal, and being certain that what I’m eating is ok. My wife has been amazing so far, and has been cooking dahl etc… not quite the same without yoghurt, chapati’s and rice though. I’ll get over it. :)

That aside… so far so good. I’ve dropped from 13st 11lb to 13st 4lb so far.

• Shaun says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a while but this is the first time I’ve commented. Your shopping list looks pretty spot on to what I frequently pick up at the stores. My fiancé and I have had some success with the 4HB diet, and as I’m sure many other followers are finding, while producing noticeable and fast results, the extreme repetition of some of the meals can be a real challenge to keeping motivated. As a result, I have taken to the internet and begun a blog that captures a variety of different recipes that I have found or created that fit into the 4HB strategy, but mix things up enough to give you a bit more choice. Personally, I’ve found it easier to stick with the diet when the meals are not the same for days on end, despite what the book says about repetition. I’d encourage you and your readers to check out my blog and try out a recipe or two. It can be found at http://slowcarbcook.blogspot.com. I’m eager to get some feedback on what people think of it!
    Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for writing us. You’re right that the repeated meals can be a challenge. I think that’s a great idea to bring these recipes together, and thanks for sharing! I know I saw a couple of good ones I want to try in there!

• Dutch4HB says:

Wow – these pages look nice! I will come around for tips and stories. You really rock! I started my own 4HB experiment and I am sure I can learn a lot of you guys. Keep up the good work!

• niki says:

I’m just getting started and your list is great. Thanks for the time and effort to publish it.

You’re welcome Niki, I hope you start well, and find slow carb a rewarding and great experience.

• keira says:

Love this blog, I keep coming back to it, even more so than Tim’s book! I’m trying to add a little interest to my meals and I found a recipe for a curry lentil soup, which sounds really good but it calls for either beef or vegatable stock . I haven’t found any information about what our salt intake should be on this diet. I know salt makes you retain water so wondering if that’s something we should be cutting out, until our cheat day. Any suggestions would be most helpful :)

• Jennifer says:

My husband and I were wondering the same about the salt. And he’s a sunflowerseed freak….what about those I wonder.

• Jennifer says:

My husband and I are starting our third day of slow-carbing today. He is grumpy (self-proclaimed) and I am BORED! Although I’m not hungry, I am a snacker….dry cereal mostly….and I miss chewing! Gum isn’t the answer, I always chew gum. Two years ago I lost 65 pounds and in the last year I have gained back 20 :( I am 5’8 and 140 lbs. Still size 5, but am losing my tone, especially in my arms. I have religiously worked out in some way every day for 2.5 years, but started to bend the rules on food last year. Any suggestions? Please, something to snack on besides carrots, and is this really going to get rid of my flab? Can’t wait for cheat day, but it scares me at the same time. Really eat anything? Icecream and fruit and cake and candy…..to name a few of my vices.

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks for your questions.

I hear you! I used to graze all day too, and found that it was a different routine to get used to.

If you’re not hungry, but you want to snack, I’d take a look at what you’re doing with your time during the day, as to why you’re bored – I don’t think it’s food related at all. One of the keys to slow carb is that it’s easy to eat enough at meals so that you don’t need to snack. And that works very well, because it contains food to meals, and makes things much, much easier to track through the day. 4 meals is a lot easier to mentally ‘tick off’, than 4 meals and 3 snacking sessions. Snacking on carrots isn’t recommended every day, as any snack should be used only if undereating at the previous meal has left you hungry.
      Slow carb does work for everyone, and it’s an easy program to stick at, because of the cheat day. Start with a full protein heavy breakfast, like any other day, and then go for whatever you want from lunch til bedtime.
      With regards to salt and sunflower seeds – salt will slow fat loss in some people, and most programs recommend against it. Sunflower seeds don’t fall into any of the 3 categories – vegetables, beans or lean protein and then naturally aren’t part of the slow carb diet. All food eaten on slow carb (except cheat day foods) is eaten for a nutritional purpose – either to get fiber and protein (beans), to get fiber, water and nutrients (vegetables) or to get protein (lean meats) – so any other food that doesn’t provide that nutrition is recommended for cheat day only.

All the best! I hope you and your husband get great results. Grumpiness could be a sign of low carbohydrate intake – 1/2 cup to 1 cup of beans, each meal, 4 times a day is the normal intake.

• Rosie says:

The slow carb diet has been absolutely fabulous for me mostly due to the simplicity! I’m all over the place due to boredom but the results have me addicted. I did find it hard waiting for 7 days to cheat but that was all. When I had energy, I did very light weight training and very light long distance walking and that helped tone while I lost. Thank you for simplifying things for me! I love it!

Hey Rosie, that’s great!! I’m really glad you’ve found great results. Congrats!! The light exercise sounds perfect for slow carb. Nothing too stressful on your body means a healthy, happy body while losing fat.

• John says:

I love what you guys are doing here. One question though:

You list a LOT of canned beans in your shopping list. They are very high in sodium in most cases, what’s your opinion on that?

Thanks…

Hi John,

Thanks very much!
      Canned beans are high in sodium, that’s true. We always rinse off the beans to start with, so there’s less than what’s listed on the nutrition panel, and for me personally, I’m not concerned about sodium, as I don’t add salt to anything else, and sweat often, being quite active. If you’re concerned about sodium, there are canned bean options that don’t have salt added.

• Klyde says:

Thanks for the list I just went out and bought almost exactly this plus some of the things you already had. Basically made shopping and getting started really simple for me, i just read 4HB a few hours ago and i’m starting on the diet in the morning (I guess I need to drink this litre of juice before the morning!)

I am only doing the diet along with ice water to start, but i will probably add supplements on my first ‘day off’

Thanks for the post!

Hey Klyde,

You’re welcome! And thanks for your comment.

Starting with slow carb + ice water is a really great option, and then if you want to include more things/fine tune after a while then you have a solid base to work from.

• Nancy says:

I just learned about your plan but have not yet read the book. I think I have enough information from reading online to get started but I can’t find anything that says how many days to remain on the strict plan before a “cheat day.”

Thanks, in advance, for clarifying.

Hey Nancy, It’s a great idea to read the book, by author Tim Ferriss, as there’s lot of detail there to refer to. Cheat days come once a week, on a regular day – for most people – Saturday.

• Cat says:

Thanks for this list. My husband is a big Tim Ferriss fan. We are in the process of big changes from the 4HWW. Your blog has helped so much. The slow carb diet is not something I naturally incorporate into our meal plans so I was a bit lost. Your meal planning and shopping list{s} have proven a tremendous help to me. Now I can have the proper food in the house for my husband to whip up some meals that are within the parameters of the diet. Thanks again.

Hey Cat, thanks so much for your comment.
      I’m so glad that we’ve been able to help you – it can be tough getting started, but once you get going, and have those vital ingredients on hand, it’s so easy to just create quick easy meals at home, and it’s a breeze to follow the 4HB principles week to week.

All the best with it!

• david says:

Thanks for the list. My wife has decided to start the plan even tho she is breast feeding. Is thre a full checklist of food and excercise available? It is easier to modify a spec than to create a new one from scratch. ( I have looked at the cheat sheets) Trying to lay out a meal workout plan so we can shop and cook for the best results.

Hey David,

Congratulations on your newborn!

You might be interested in our meal diary, which shows around 2 weeks of food for the both of us: http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com/slow-carb-food-diary/

There’s isn’t a specific spec for meals and workouts, as Tim’s book encourages the reader to experiment for themselves, to find what works best for them. So there are a range of exercise programs on offer, and you can choose one that suits you. It should be noted too that there isn’t a lot of research out there that proves exercise aides weight loss, and that slow carb weight loss works best with just a few moderate sessions per week.

• david says:

my wife is ready to start the full plan tho she was worried about any effect it would have while she is breast feeding. And the epidural (actually three nerve scrappings instead of an epidural) has left her back in pain so I don’t know what excercies to use and no we can’t go to a doctor at this time so may be just streaches. Anyway I have looked at your cheatsheets and shopping list – thanks- but has anyone laied out a schedule – first ice water or sourkrout or breakfast or whatever? It is easier to modify a spec then to start one from scratch. If no one has one I can use I guess I will have to get out my book and try to write one up for us. But one of the biggest helps was this shopping list. thanks

• sarahqueen says:

is this diet safe while breastfeeding? will it affect milk supply?

Hey Sarah,
      Thanks for your question – a few people have inquired about this exact topic. To the best of my knowledge, most food choices affect what nutrients are delivered through mother’s milk, so it’s worth thinking about before doing – just as you are. If in doubt, consult with your physician to see if there are any particular nutrients that you need to pay specific attention to, and perhaps supplement with. In general, slow carb provides a great variety of nutrition, and keeps the body health, whilst promoting healthy blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, whilst inhibiting fat gain (or regain), and aiding fat loss.
      All the best, and congrats on your newborn!!

• Anonymous says:

Saw page. Heard music play. Left page. Came back to say you should remove the music because it’s annoying. Going again now.

The music’s no longer set to auto play, thanks for leaving your feedback. If you’d left a name and genuine email address, you’d get an update on this.

• Robert says:
  • Nancy says:

I am really excited to start the Slow Carb Diet. I have about 15-20 lbs. to lose. I had been eating Paleo for a long while, but oddly enough- not losing any weight, and not getting enough fiber, despite the enormous amount of vegetables I was eating. I love all kinds of beans, lentils, etc. and I still have tons of them still stocked in my pantry from way back- dried. Looking for great results! Honestly , I can come up with thousands of yummy combinations of meat, green vegetables, and beans. :)

Hey Nancy – good for you!
      Some people find Paleo a good balanced diet, but it’s not necessary focussed on losing fat. Slow carb is more focussed on that goal if followed strictly.
      Sounds like you’re going to have some fun while you lose! All the best :)

• Elena says:

Would corned beef and cabbage be an acceptable meal?

Hi Elena,
      Prepared meats generally aren’t the best option, as they may be prepared with sugars, starches and oils. Read the ingredients very closely. Beef itself, cooked in any way you like at home, is fine, as long as you follow the slow carb guidelines. Cabbage is a great vegetable to use – but for a complete meal, make sure you add beans too!

• I’m really impressed along with your writing skills and also with the structure to your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a nice blog like this one these days..

• Cherie baker says:

I’m planning to start the diet in the morning and I’m wondering if soy sausage patties are ok to eat in place of the bacon. I eat chicken and fish but do not eat beef or pork.

Hey Cherie,
      I’d steer well clear of soy in general, and especially anything made to mimic meat. Tends to have all kinds of fillers and weird and wonderful things added. Soy can affect hormones, which is not ideal, so try to stick with protein sources that don’t mess with your body.

• Mike Lorincz says:

I have been on the slow carb diet for about 4 weeks. The first week saw a drop of 4 lbs but since… Nothing on the weight loss. I have been true to the diet, protein rich breakfast eaten within one hour of waking and good portions of beans…. I am wondering why I am not seeing better results.

• My son-in-law lost 20lbs. Now it’s'y my turn—stay tuned I host a radio talk show in Texas and I bought the book. If this works I will tell my audience to try this.

Hey Martin good on you!!
      If you have anymore questions, you know where to find the answers!!

• Nory Oakes says:

Thanks for this great shopping list. This diet actually sounds very much like the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride that I’ve had success with in the past. Her site is well worth a look and might help to explain why slow carb is so successful. Plus, if you or someone you love has ADHD, it’s great:

Hi Nory,

Interesting connection. I hadn’t heard of the GAPS Diet before. The link between the digestive system and mood/brain chemistry is so strong, but not many people realize it. For example, you might already know that 95% of serotonin is produced in the gut, and then moves to the brain? I was amazed by that.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Debi Talbert says:

Thanks so much for this post Luke. I’m starting 4HB July 1 and needed a shopping list for today.

You’re very welcome Debi!

I wish you all the very best with your results. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive solution, I have produced a 6 Module video course on this lifestyle, including a lot more of the day to day questions and routines. You can check it out at http://www.completebodyfatcontrol.com

• kasha foret says:

Hello Luke, i do a low carb diet about 50% of the time, so im wondering what kind of salad dressings and sauces are ok? also are any beans ok to eat? like ranch style. what about guacomole how often is ok to eat it? thanks so much i love all the beans

Hey,
      Good question. The best option for salad dressing is lemon juice, and/or olive oil, macadamia oil, even some coconut oil. As far as sauces go, there aren’t really too many that are OK. They only add calories but not a lot in terms of the nutrition that slow carb seeks out – low fat protein, green veges and beans/lentils. Most beans are OK to eat – red kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, black beans, butter beans, as long as they don’t have added sugar or a sauce with them. Try to steer clear of chick peas though (also known as garbanzo beans).
      Guacamole is OK, perhaps once or twice per week at the most. It’s especially good if you’re eating somewhere and not having beans – so you need to add additional fat with a low fat protein source, to get adequate calories for the meal.

• Pingback: Slow Carb Diet: Day 1

• Doug Foster says:

Thanks for the list Luke. Have you found other results oriented Blogs about 4hour techniques and if so I would be interested to know which ones
    Doug

• Mitch says:

I have been following you on twitter and reading many of your articles since i started a not so strict modification to my eating habits about a year ago. 4-hour body is definitely a game changer.

Just wanted to share two things that have really help make this diet easier with respect to the blah factor.

lentils literally disappear in chili and soup. i will add two pounds on top of what i normally cook in the crock pot and no one even notices.

secondly scrambled eggs are great with hot sauce and cavender’s greek seasoning. i know it makes absolutely no sense, but it works. based on a recommendation from a friend.

keep up the good work.

Hey Mitch, thanks for following and thanks for sharing those great recommendations!!
      Lentils are great at ‘disappearing’! And the hot sauce and greek seasoning, well, that’s just weird, but if it tastes great, then I won’t argue!

• Beverly Clark says:

Starting week 2. The first week I lost 6 lbs. My husband is doing it with me and he didn’t lose but he did lose inches. I have a lot more to lose then he does, he mostly needs to just tone up.
    Finding meals that we both enjoy has been a challenge, but I do enjoy cooking so searching sites and putting my own twist on some things. I have found that making large batches of black beans and Lentil soup helps a great deal.
    My biggest challenge is taking things for my lunches at work. Lentil soup and chicken salad so far, but know in time I will have to change it up.
    *love this site, helps keep one inspired*

Hey Beverly,

Thanks for your comment. How are you guys doing now after the holidays? Your soup sounds tasty – care to share a recipe?
      Lunches at work can be challenging. You might like to try experimenting with a slow cooker, as these kind of meals can be very tasty, and also easy to take in a container.

• chloe says:

Hi,

I literally nly started this yesterday and think i understand the basis ‘eating’principles of what to eat/not eat.

I have read the book book only fairly quickly so if anyonce can give any pointers on certain aspects that they think i should definitely be doing.. e.g the coffee? exercising before a carb meal? as i havent managed to read in to these bits properly yet and dont want to be missing out on any tricks!
    also, do you have to have beans and lentils with the meals..ist not something im used to?

thanks!

Hey Chloe,

Great job getting started. I think the key is to pick what your goal is. If it is fat loss, then sit down and read the 2 chapters on Slow Carb. That’s about all you need to cover, assuming you’ve read the intro chapters. From there, you’ll be able to answer these questions in context, way better than I can answer them here!

• Leanne says:

I am starting tomorrow, with great expectations. My husband started a while ago with incredible results!

I will be reading your blog for extra motivation. Wish me luck!

leanne

Hey Leanne, good for you!

All the very best, and drop me a line to let me know how you’re doing (there’s a ‘contact’ link up top).

Cheers!

• Natalie Broz says:

Am i allowed to use lemons On the 4 hour diet? Can you clarify this??

Hi Natalie,

Yes lemons are definitely OK – use the juice in water for a nice drink and one that blunts insulin response, and also use lemon juice in cooking or for a salad dressing.