4 Hour Body – Cheat Day – Gluten Free

Well, that magical day rolled around on the calendar, and I have to admit was pretty excited for it. Though I enjoy the meals during the week, there’s nothing like switching up what you’re eating, where it’s coming from (and who’s cooking it) to make it feel like a great relaxing weekend day. I’ve been gluten free for over 5 years now, so my cheat day may look a little different to the hamburgers and mac and cheese days, so I thought I’d share.

We started with a regular, delicious egg-based breakfast. After which, we adopted a few of the Damage Control principles, and went for some grapefruit juice. No coffee as we didn’t want to get wired. Shopping followed, at which I used the baskets of beans to do some GLUT-4 exercises, then the fun began.

I started with two pieces of (gluten free) toast, with butter and peanut butter, chased with a Snickers bar. Of course, this is so far away from the rest of the week that my body went into shock. It all tasted great, though afterwards I have to admit my resting heart rate felt like it was double the usual.

We were out again for a while, stopping for Kat to grab some McD’s, and for me to get a large fries from A&W. On return to the house, I excitedly unboxed my Indian chicken curry dinner, trusting the oven gods to do their thing. I was not disappointed, and I added some veges for flavour, including plenty of butter for taste.

The rest of the evening went along these lines and included some almond bark, some delicious candies, an espresso with cinnamon, some more air squats and well presses, and of course a bizarre, near-midnight meal, by which stage I’d had my fill of goodies, and turned back to fried eggs and ham.

My favourite of the day, is a tie. Both were my gluten-free staples before the 4 Hour Diet rocked my world: corn flakes with almonds and natural yogurt, and rice crackers (sesame) with cottage cheese. Now, before I get flamed for eating healthy on cheat day, let me explain that these were chosen purely for taste reasons, and I’m sure that I over-ate, if I totaled the day’s calories, both of which tick the right boxes. Plus, I just love those foods.

So, my final count looked something like this:

• Snickers bar
  • Indian Chicken Curry
  • Rice Crackers
  • Corn Flakes
  • Trail Mix
  • Almond Bark (chocolate)
  • Candies

• ALA, Garlic
  • Green Tea
  • Espresso
  • Grapefruit Juice
  • Cinnamon
  • GLUT-4 exercises
  • Tomato Salsa (’nuff said)

Result: Going to bed, looking forward, incredibly, to vegetables, and lentils!

How was your cheat day? What’s your pick of the bunch?

Are you gluten free and following the 4 hour regime? Love to hear your ideas for meals – during the week, and for cheat day – leave a comment!

15 Responses to 4 Hour Body – Cheat Day – Gluten Free

• James says:

Looks like a yummy cheat day!

Here’s mine. I didn’t take it quite as far as you guys.

Haha! Enjoyed reading your write-up.. bacon-yeh!! Funny how people will repeat the message they get from whatever mass media medium of choice it is they devote time to.. rather than really understanding how something works. Your substantial weight loss goes to show that the whole ‘calories in-calories out’ theory of weight loss might be as old fashioned as the guy who was burning food to simulate digestion (from whom we got the caloric and inferred nutritional value of foods that we base our popular diets on today).

• If you do not mind me asking, just what exactly are you using to stop junk comments? I noticed your site is nice and totally free from all the spam bots leaving comments. I have another blog myself, and I like to keep comment forms open so I do not have to come on and approve them all the time, however the spam plugins I’ve experimented with are usually failing to stop even the most obvious and basic spam comments. Is there anything decent out there that does a good job or is my only hope to keep them moderated or just close them all together? Thanks, Alejandro Delsol

Hey Alejandro – I’m using Akismet, which seems to be doing a stellar job! other than that, I need to check every few days, to check spam flagged comments, but things are flowing well.

Hey Alejandro,
      I had spam problems too, there is a simple captcha plugin for wordpress that I added and its doing a good job.

• Tess says:

I came across your blog when looking for good gluten free cheat day options. I have been eating gluten free for almost 2 years now, also dairy free most of the time during those 2 years, and have been doing the slow carb diet since the beginning of January.

Here are some of the foods that I found myself eating on my cheat days the past few weeks:
    fruit smoothie, potato chips, tortilla chips with guacamole, gluten free pizza (from Zpizza), sushi, dark chocolate, gluten free gingersnaps, french fries, rice pasta, PF Chang’s spicy chicken, coconut icecream, popcorn.

p.s. I laughed when you mentioned eating healthy on your cheat day, because I thought the same thing about some of the foods I was eating. I was jumping around excited because I got to have a homemade fruit smoothie.

Hi Tess, thanks for your comment :)
      Congrats on taking your health seriously, and I’m sure reaping the rewards from it!

My stomach’s gurgling just thinking about all that great stuff – I have also enjoyed gluten free pizza, tortilla chips, dark chocolate, french fries, and ice cream. You’ve given me some ideas though! Sushi and ginger snaps have gone right to the top of my list for this week!!

Glad I’m not the only one indulging in some ‘healthy’ cheat day food! My fave is corn flakes with natural yogurt and trail mix.. used to be a staple and I really miss it.

Thanks so much and all the best.

• Dodie Jacobi says:

Great to see your blog and gluten free-ness! I’m about to begin slow carb diet and have already felt sheepish about eating gluten free on my cheat day:) But frankly, I feel SOOOOO much better eating gluten, dairy, and sugar-free. And I want to feel great every day and am not willing to feel crummy every seventh. So, glad to know this is all feasible. Corn chips with salsa will surely be on my cheat day list, and Immaculate Baking Company’s gluten free choc chip cookie with pecans on top.

Hey Dodie!

I know with other people ploughing in to all the cakes, cookies and french patisseries they can handle on cheat day, I felt a bit left out. Which actually spurred me on to find some really neat gluten free treats. I’ve really enjoyed the adventure actually! Found a great new bakery to visit on those special days :) They have incredible pastries, and some great pizzas-for-one too.
      One of my favourite cheat days meals is nachos at the pub – all the corn chips, ground beef, jalapeno peppers, salsa and cheese.. tasty. And gluten free! :)

All the best with your next gluten free cheat day :)

• gluten free and 4 hour body is VERY COMPATABLE. this has been a very easy transition for me. and as far as gluten Free cheat day. Many Restaurants offer a gluten free menu if you ask. Bostons Restaraunt and others offier Gluten free pizza which is awesome and many italian restaraunts will make their signature dishes for you with your gluten free pasta if you bring it in. Check into your options it is much easier now but you have to ask ! Eat well. Eat Healthy. Live Heathy. Vivian DeLuca

Hi Vivian,

Thanks for your comment! You’re right about being gluten free on slow carb. I really love it too. It’s very easy, during the week, and more and more food outlets are recognizing the benefits of offering gluten free options, which makes cheat days all the more fun!

Thanks again,

• Colleen says:

Hi!! Just found your website! I am also gluten free (damn you, intestines!) and I tend to eat chicken breast, eggs, veggies, and all types of beans throughout the week. It’s a wonderful diet for GF people I have found (I’ve been GF 10 months now) and cheat days are still fun even though I can’t eat a whole takeout pizza anymore. :)

Hey Colleen,

Great to have you reading our site! Slow carb really is fantastic for gluten free people – a friend of mine just started on it, and is finding better sustained energy throughout the day, without needing to snack so often. Plus he saves a lot of time, not having to prepare those gluten free snacks every day!
      You might want to make your own gluten free pizza, or check around local shops – many are now doing gluten free bases (just check the toppings too), depending on where you are!

• Linds says:

Yes, I too just found your website and love reading the similaire experiences! I’m a vegetarian and gluten-free and people still ask if I’m GF on cheat day- I have no other choice! Lucky for me I’m a seasoned baker…I have filled my cheat day with fresh gf cinnamon buns, gf almond croissant, gf pain au chocolate, gf chocolate chip cookies etc!

for anyone else reading this blog and are still trying to maintain a organic/clean cheat day, may I suggest justin’s peanut caramel bars or ocho candy bars- let me just say snickers schmickers! we ordered an entire box and my husband throws back half the box every cheat day!

Sounds awesome! I’ve been asked about GF on cheat day, and some friends who still think it’s just a ‘lifestyle choice’ – that I could have a pizza if I really wanted to. Oh the pain if I did! Sounds like you’ve got things well sorted out though!
      Thanks for the tips,