The Wicked Wednesdays

Is anyone else finding Wednesday’s to be the day of cravings, mood swings, and severe want to punch this diet in the head??

I am. Last week, I wondered if it was just a random day of rage towards the food I was eating, but the fact that today has resulted in the exact same (if not worse) reaction, I’m wondering if “hump day” should come back into my vocabulary.

I’m having a very easy time feeling like it’s Luke’s fault we’re eating this way, even though that’s completely ridiculous. Also, the fact that he has been eating healthy so long and doesn’t show any signs of disliking the diet doesn’t make me any less unhappy towards him when I’m in The Wednesdays. I hope that if any of you are experiencing any of these signs, you’re not making any crucial relationship decisions at the same time, cause these things pack a wallop!

Another couple things I’m finding are a complete lack of interest towards the meals we have to create. I actually get a feeling of loathing towards food in general which is a little scary for me with the background I have. I never want to feel those feelings again. Wednesday food-hating isn’t the same though. If someone was to hand me a piece of chocolate cake I wouldn’t think twice. icon wink The Wicked Wednesdays

I’ve also been having a lot of cramping issues. I’m not a girl who gets pain at that time of the month, but I’m weeks away and I’m already feeling quite bloated and have a lot of cramping and discomfort. I’m looking into the issues of eating eggs + ovarian cysts right now, so I’ll let you ladies know what I find. I don’t want any of you going through this uncomfortable pain if you don’t have to!

I’m finding that these kind of things are helping me with my moods and my body discomforts:

-Walk away for a bit; taking a breath or two away from the melt-down

-Getting something to eat (as much as your stomach/cramping is trying to tell you no)(I’m not going for eggs as a snack right now, using green beans)

-DON’T give into the temptation of cheat food… (if someone had said that to me this afternoon I might have started crying and yelling at them lol)

-Remember why you’re doing this diet: It might not break down that wall that builds itself up while you’re getting these cravings, but if you keep telling yourself how important your body and mind are, you are going to eventually break through a little, and a little more, until you can think a bit clearer and eat some food, take a brisk walk, or lie down for a while. What ever suits your style.

I would love to hear if anyone else is going through ‘The Wednesdays’ like I’m experiencing! Tweet me @katpenfold or leave a comment below!

Happy Thursdays, everyone!

1. A New Outlook on Energy Luke and I probably aren't the only ones dealing with a whole new idea of energy! I am astounded by how long I can last now that I'm eating such incredibly fueling food....
  2. The Hangover My day off was incredible. Such wonderfully yummy food, I was in heaven! There is a couple things I thought I would share though:...
  3. A Mental Benefit I don't know how many people reading this blog would have the same disorder difficulties as I have had, but I really want to reach those who have experienced them in every way....

27 Responses to The Wicked Wednesdays

• alison says:

THANK YOU!! It’s nice to know I’m not alone. Yesterday was hard! I try to switch up what I eat on Wednesdays to get “over the hump” but yesterday, nothing was helping. I ended up skipping a meal – I know, not great, but better than cheating! I’m already feeling better today and I hope you do too!

• BB says:

Hey Kat….you know I understand exactly how you feel. This is only my fourth day and I find myself constantly thinking about Cheat DAY! I mean all the time. When I am having cravings I put some flavored crystal light in a bottle and pop it in the freezer for a few. However my problem is sweets. I would attack someone for a doughnut at this moment! LOL. Please let us know about the egg situation. You know what I have been trying to read about is the danger of high protien fats associated with the risk of cancer. I am a Dr. Oz fan and he always talks about too much animal fat can put you in the higher risk of cancer development. EKKKK. I do get my meat at whole foods, I am sure that has to help a bit. Good luck only 2 days until cheat day! LOL (sad huh)

• Shawna says:

Hi Kat!

Like the previous entry, I also am new to this diet… today is day #4 and let me say that days 2 & 3 were the worst I’ve had in a very long time! I felt like a crazy person! My poor, sweet, thankfully loving, boyfriend had to put up with a monster for a couple of days while I cried, pouted, and broke into tantrums for no reason! Those things are embarrassing to admit, but I’m happy to know I’m not the only one going through such extreme reactions to the diet. Today was the first day that I’ve really felt good… and I’m hoping it lasts. Cheat day isn’t too far off and I look forward to everything that I’ve been drooling over for the past few days (which is basically every commercial that comes on TV)! Anyway, love the posts and I appreciate a forum for women to share their stories as well! Thank you! :)

• Betsy says:

Wednesday blues? Try Tues-Friday. . .

My husband and I started the “regime” on Dec. 28th and we have been keeping Saturdays as our carbalicious, cupcake-filled cheat day. Honestly, if it weren’t for Saturday, life would be way less enjoyable and this entire experiment would be unsustainable. That said, I start craving the texture of frosting, chocolate, or bread from Tues-Friday. Before I started the slow-carb regime, I barely ate sweets on a regular basis. Now I crave it like the cookie monster. I’m still trying to figure that one out.

Couple of things:

1) It helps (somewhat) to browse the baked goods at Whole Foods and contemplate what I’ll be putting into my mouth by Saturday. I can’t underestimate the importance of not cheating Sun-Fri. If I had even a sample of something sweet I don’t think I would feel as proud of my effort.

2) Having 1 cheat day per week to eat whatever I crave has definitely increased my taste palate. Sweet things taste even sweeter since I haven’t been consuming them on a regular basis anymore. This, I really like.

3) Every Saturday feels like Christmas. you’ve earned it. . .another 6 days of sticking to your “slow-carb guns” and now it is time for a little reward.

So far we have been pretty pleased with the slow-carb meals and we haven’t felt like we have run out of options yet. We both like to cook, so finding new dishes to make with the selected ingredients hasn’t been a deal-breaker.

• Scott vaughan says:

You make it sound like it’s a struggle to make it through the day / week I am on the. 4-hr body religiously and find I never have crazy hunger cravings if I make sure my legume intake is good. I found all natural items were better on my stomach, less wind, less bloat, general better feeling !

Prior to this I was a carb filled person, I am on the 3rd week on Monday and having good results, and feel great! I have been taking daily measurements and logging them on my iPhone to plot up in a graph when I am done

I got bored with my meals too but chilly and herbs fix that !

Hey Scott, thanks for comment.
      Glad to hear you’re so committed to the diet, I’m sure you’ll experience great results. Daily measurements aren’t really necessary though, I think weekly is plenty.
      Judging by the comments it looks like you’re the fortunate minority- lots of people are feeling the challenges of changing to a totally different set of food for 6 days straight.
      As someone who’s eaten a very clean, gluten free regime prior to starting the slow carb diet, I can also attest to feeling the cravings for some of my ‘normal’ foods, during the week and it takes some willpower to maintain the slow carb. I’m lucky I think because I went through a major diet reform already, going gluten free 5 years ago. Slow carb isn’t a big change but it’s still different.
      Perhaps it’s the large shift from your previous diet to this healthier one that has made it so easy for you to feel only the benefits and not the challenges. Certainly the body rewards us when we make a large positive change.
      All the best on your 4 hour body project, Luke

• Michelley says:

Oh man, I see your Wednesday blues but mine are more of a FREAKIN FRIDAY. I struggle most Fridays. I get all cranky that I have chose to do this. I hate eggs after a week of eating them for breakfast, I can hardly look at eating. And to add insult to injury, Cheat day is only 24 hours in reach. I have the random week day when I am preparing food for my son and husband that I grieve for but, aside from that, its fridays for me.

Hang in there, I am with you on this!!!

• stella says:

I am following your posts as religously as I’m following the slow carb plan. I am relieved to find that you are feeling as crampy and a bit yucky as I on this, my first Wednesday. I am only one week into the program and probably thought I’d have an easier time of it as I also am celiac. Giving up most carbs doesn’t feel like a stretch to me. However, eating so many eggs as my protein is proving far more difficult. I feel lousy and nauseous today and was thinking perhaps its the Pagg stack. Yesterday was my first “off” day of pagg. Do you find any correlation?

I hope you feel better and I will continue to check into your progress. Great postings with more info than I’ve found anywhere! Good luck to you both.

Hi Stella thanks so much for writing.

We have both found that there was a limit to egg consumption in a day.. and obviously Kat’s results were much more negative than mine in this regard, but I struggle to eat eggs twice a day. Are you mixing it up, by including fish, chicken, turkey and lean red meat as protein sources?

Neither of us have felt any ill-effects from the PAGG Stack, and we’ve been taking it for a couple of weeks now. Give it all a couple more weeks, and see what your results are like – in how you’re feeling, digestion, food, etc.

All the best, and thanks for reading!

• Sasha says:

It is Wednesday of week five for me and although there is a noticeable difference in the way my pants fit, I was expecting more of a loss. Wednesdays are by far the worst days for me and I feel like just being done with it today. I started PAGG in week 3 and started Icing every night in week 3 as well. I feel like I am following the diet the way it is laid out (and I have re-read probably 4-5 times, taking notes along the way, following the blog and joining in on forums on Facebook). I guess I am just wishing for more weight loss (I am 26 with no kids, so that shouldn’t be affecting me). Getting through this Wednesday with the blues will be tough, but I know I can do it. I am thinking about re-evaluating this whole diet at 8 weeks (Please God, Let me make it to 8 weeks). Good luck to everyone and I am glad I am not the only one pouting. HA!

Hey Sasha thanks for sharing you experiences. Sorry to hear you’re doing it tough. In most cases people do have good results after the first month but it does depend on how much you’re wanting to lose. Of course the last 5 or 10 pounds can be more difficult. Have you been taking measurements of key areas to see if there’s a body composition change going on? Muscle is much heavier than fat for the amount of space it occupies, so some people find little change on the scales whilst their physique is changing dramatically.
      I know it’s tough at times and of course it’s everyone’s own decision as to how long they stay doing this. A few quick items to double check:
      - 8-10 glasses water every day
      - 30g protein within 30 mins of waking every day
      - minimum 25g protein every meal
      - cheat day once a week
      - double check all foods for hidden ingredients that are starchy, sugary, dairy
      - are you eating enough? Depending on activity level, you might not be getting enough calories. I ate 4x slow carb meals and was literally only walking 2x a week ie very sedentary. If I was more active I would have needed more food. Do you feel hungry during the week?

All the best, Luke

• Jonesy says:

Hey all,

I find that the thing that helps me get through Wednesdays (and Mondays, and Tuesdays and etc etc!) is the concept of ‘delayed gratification’.

I have a ‘Cheat Day List’ permanently open on my laptop and whenever I find myself craving something (food or otherwise), I just add it to the list.

Like a daily ‘to do’ list, but this is a Saturday ‘to eat’ list. And I make sure I’m just as disciplined about completing this list!

It sounds a little masochistic (pain now, pleasure later) but I’ve found that I really appreciate each cheat meal so much more. Because just like saving money each month for that special vacation/gadget/shoes, I feel like I really deserve it. Guilt-free pleasure!

Finally, it’s really great to read all the support and hear how other people are approaching the 4HB lifestyle. Awesome blog guys!

Jonesy this is a great idea, and in fact exactly this (though on our phones) kept us sane in the first couple of weeks of slow carb!

Really glad you enjoyed reading the blog!

• Sherry says:

I like Jonesy’s idea of creating a list. I personally keep this on my Blackberry to look at during those tough moments. As for Fridays, I am with Michelley on this one. Fridays are a real challenge as I used to treat myself on fridays. I actually shop for all of my Cheat Treats on fridays, knowing that the next day is the big day. I’ve been doing really well with eating enough protein and beans with my meals, so staying satiated definately helps!

Hey Sherry, great comments. You’re right about keeping the food coming in to avoid those cravings. The body really craves once it’s ‘hungry’.. if you can keep a steady flow of great food coming in, then it’s much less likely you’re experience those craving times. The cheat list works really well! I’ve heard from a few people that it keeps them sane during the week, knowing that cheat day is on its way. It’s ‘not now’ instead of ‘never’ which I think is really healthy.

• Stephanie says:

I am so glad to have found your website today. I started 4HB for Jan. i have lost 10 lbs in 3 months, but I will say I have NOT been uber dedicated to it. Tuesday nights/Weds have DEFINITELY been the breaking point many weeks. That is the time I was allowing myself one cheat. Ha. You know where that has gone. I am now “cheating” almost daily. I am not gaining weight, but I have NOT been motivated to stop cheating either. As I peruse your sight, I am getting interested again! This is the website I needed, as I sometimes feel like Tim F. is not human! :) Any ideas to re-motivate would be appreciated!

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for writing us. I can really understand how it can be difficult to keep at things, and I’m glad to hear you’ve already had success. 10lbs is a great start, and though I’m not sure what you goal is, it sounds like you’d really like to be getting going again on the slow carb lifestyle.
      My recommendation, rather than focussing on the ‘how’ of the lifestyle, is to think about the ‘why’. Somewhere, you have a very good reason to be doing this, and you need to peel away the layers to get down to the most meaningful reason, and then focus on that. Think about all the great things that will come if you make this change, and then think about all the things that might happen if you don’t do this. Keep going until it feels like you need to do this now. Then you’ll be motivated as you work towards your goal.

• Karen O says:

I am just the same mid-week, really lacking any interest in the food I’m eating and already beginning to think about all the food I can eat on Saturday. I feel that knowing Saturday is edging closer it gets me through all the beans, eggs and meat without being too much of a grump. Sometimes though I hate those eggs!

Saying that I find it so easy now to turn down the ‘cheat’ foods all week, because I know I can have them on Saturday (cheat day) and the anticipation of that day is a painful pleasure.

• TJ says:

Yep, 0% sugar chocolate from Daniel’s Chocolates (Belgian chocolate shop in Vancouver on Robson Street, and 7 oher locations). While moderate in fat, they make very good no sugar chocolate.

This is the only thing that gets me through the week. By the end of Wednesday, pre-chocolate, I was getting VERY cranky and thought “_________ it, I am eating what I want”. That has all changed. I take cin. and lemon juice prior to eating it, and, I do 3 minutes of squats too.

• GabyCR says:

Hi Guys!
    I love ur blog as much as I love Tim’s books! They have been a real help for me. God Bless u!
    I just have quick question, I’ve been scanning the blog for an answer but havent find it yet. Im sorry if its repetitive. I have problems with PMS cravings, specially with chocolate, and I just broke a perfect week of slow carb diet with some sweets and i feel awful. My question is what is the impact when u break the diet during your PMS. All my work during the week is gone? Thank you in advance and please keep going u are a great inspiration! Greetings from China!

Hey Gaby, thanks that’s great to hear!!
      Writing from China! It’s so exciting when we hear about people all over the world writing to us.
      I can only imagine what those PMS cravings can be like.. but no doubt it can be very tough to stave them off.
      It depends a little on when in the week you had the cheat, relative to your cheat day – for example, if your cheat day is Saturday, and you had the chocolate on the following Friday, then there’s not as much harm done as there would be if you had it, for example, on Tuesday. The reason for this is a lot of folks get into, or close to the fat burning adaptation during the week, perhaps around Tuesday or Wednesday, and then have a few clear days of burning fat as their main source of energy. Having a cheat around Tuesday or Wednesday would mean this doesn’t come to being. It may not stop fat loss, but may reduce the amount lost.
      Not sure if there’s any way you can get food sent to you, but in Australia there’s a producer who makes a very, very low sugar chocolate that is sweetened with Stevia – and tastes delicious (if you like dark chocolate). to get more info. The nutrition breakdown of these bars is such that they could give you your chocolate fix, whilst only providing fat and protein, and virtually no carbohydrates, which would make you more likely to stay in the fat burning zone. You’ll need to email them to check shipping info, etc.

• GabyCR says:

Thank u Luke for taking ur time to reply, ur answer gave me a big relief, and I will totally check out this website hopefully will be a solution for those days of chocolate dispair! Keep going with ur excellent job!

• Linds says:

We’ve been doing the 4HB since Feb. we’ve done a couple of trials with a Wednesday cheat treat. We go out and get a local sundae (jeni’s!). It curbs the range and I find that the treat last a whole week. I don’t even need a cheat the next Wednesday. Tim mentions that some people can tolerate this Wednesday cheat, in the book. It’s actually helped us out of a really long lasting plateau.

If you are having cramping along with cysts, you may want to get a blood draw to check out your hormones. You should prob take some insulin supporting supplements if you don’t already.

Hey Linds,

Thanks for sharing your comments – that’s really interesting to hear your experience! This definitely might work for some people.

Thanks for your thoughts about cysts and checking hormones. Can you elaborate on taking insulin supporting supplements? I’d like to understand better this theory.

• Linds says:

google inositol and insulin and chromium and insulin, as well as cinnamon. I could explain it but i don’t want anyone to misinterpret me.

Understood, thanks for the reference. Definitely aware of cinnamon’s usage in balancing blood sugar, and chromium has some published results too, good and bad. Appreciate your response!