25,000 Calories – 1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

For everyone looking to gain muscle, either on the Occam’s Protocol workouts, or on the Geek to Freak, after you gain some muscle, it can be difficult adjusting your food intake to continue gaining. I decided to spend a week focused on eating more than enough – read on to see what my meals looked like, and how they shaped up nutritionally. Calorie, fat, protein and carb counts included!

Having reached a point where I was plateauing, and not gaining much more weight (muscle), but still progressing with my workouts, I did some math and decided it was likely that I wasn’t eating enough. So, here it is; the full diary of a week’s worth of food, with nutrition breakdown of each day. I hope this spurs you on as you take on the Occam’s Protocol or Geek to Freak workouts, and the challenge of eating enough to support a lot of muscle growth.

Breakfast – Red Lentils, eggs, spinach, 1/2 protein shake with milk

Lunch – Red beans, chicken burger, spinach, rice

‘The Demon’ protein shake – 300ml milk, banana, 2tbsp almond butter, 1 scoop protein powder

* Workout *

Lunch 2 – Red beans and diced chicken breast with Montreal Steak spice, rice and spinach

Dinner – Red beans, green pepper, 1 slice turkey, cajun spices, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 protein shake with milk

Before bed – 1/2 protein shake with milk

luke sunday 160x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

3394 Calories –

264.4g Protein

105.6g Fat

373.7g Carbs

Breakfast – 1/2 protein shake with milk, red lentils, eggs, spinach

1 protein shake with milk

Lunch 1 – 1/2 cup cottage cheese, rice, green beans and red kidney beans and salsa, lean beef burger

1 protein shake with milk

Lunch 2 – green beans, rice and red beans with montreal steak spice, turkey burger

Dinner- 3 eggs, white beans, salsa, green beans

1 protein shake – 1/2 milk

2 tbsp almond butter

luke monday 153x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

3668 Calories –

302.7g Protein

123.9g Fat

345.9g Carbs

1 protein shake with milk

Breakfast – 3 eggs omelette, spinach, lentils

Observation – more fat than needed in diet? Whole eggs, burgers. CHANGE – go with egg whites rest of week. Also drain burgers.

Lunch – Rice, green beans, hamburger, red beans

1/2 protein shake with milk

Lunch 2 – Rice, green beans, turkey burger, red beans

Dinner – turkey bacon x3, black beans, spinach, cottage cheese 1/2 cup

1/2 protein shake with milk

luke tuesday 145x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

3011 Calories –

248.3g Protein

79g Fat

338g Carbs

Breakfast – Lentils, 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, spinach

Protein Shake with milk

Lunch 1 – Rice, black beans, green beans, lean hamburger

1.5 protein shake no milk

Lunch 2 – Rice, green beans, turkey breast burger diced, red kidney beans, 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Dinner – red kidney beans, green beans, turkey bacon x2, 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Breakfast – Protein shake (no milk), 1/2 cup lentils, 3 eggs, spinach

Lunch 1 – Rice, 1.5 cups red beans, 1 lean hamburger, green beans, salsa

Large protein shake (1.5 scoops) with water, 1/4 banana

Lunch 2 – Rice, 1/2 cup red beans, 1 cup navy beans, turkey burger, broccoli

Protein shake with milk

Dinner – Black beans 1.5 cups, spinach, 3 eggs, 1 turkey bacon slice

Screen shot 2011 04 09 at 2.56.10 PM 151x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

3622 Calories –

303g Protein

96g Fat

410g Carbs

1 protein shake with milk

Breakfast – Lentils, 3 eggs, spinach

Lunch 1 – Huge preworkout – 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup white beans, 1/2 cup black beans, salsa, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 lean hamburger

* Workout *

The Demon workout shake – 300ml milk, banana, 1tbsp almond butter, 1.5 scoops p rotein powder, ice cubes, 200ml water

Lunch 2 – Rice, 1 cup red beans, 1/2 cup white beans, broccoli, turkey burger

Protein shake no milk

Screen shot 2011 04 09 at 2.58.15 PM 159x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

4114 Calories

335g Protein

117g Fat

421g Carbs

Breakfast – 3 eggs omelette, spinach, lentils

Morning – 1/2 milk protein shake

Coffee, Clif Builders bar

Lunch – Black beans 1.5 cups, salsa, hamburger, broccoli, 1 choc chip cookie (garbanzo bean flour)

Afternoon – 1 choc chip cookie (garbanzo bean flour), 1 cup cottage cheese,  corn chips,

Lunch 2 -White beans, chicken burger, broccoli, salsa, Rice

Dinner – Black beans, hamburger, spinach

Protein shake with milk, Chocolate

luke saturday 153x200 25,000 Calories   1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

4190 Calories –

310g Protein

133.1g Fat

462.5g Carbs

Total for the week:

Total Calories: 25,309

Average per day: 3615 calories

Starting weight: 161lbs

Finishing weight: 163.5lbs

While I think a few of these days were obviously a little high on food intake, I reached my goal of wanting to cover the base of 3300 calories per day. The extra calories definitely showed on my body – a slight increase in body fat was noticed, due to over-eating, and I suspect a combination of the milk intake, and the protein shakes with artificial sweetener.

After this, taking a week on slow carb, to cut back some body fat, and give my system a rest looks like a great idea. Then the plan is to restart a good feeding plan, with Geek to Freak workouts. I will be dropping the milk, and going with natural protein shakes – and will add in an egg to protein drinks for texture, whilst also adding more beans at most meals, for extra calories. The aim is to get the cleanest protein possible (meaning without sugar, or too much fat), so I will also be avoiding the frozen hamburgers and chicken/turkey burgers, and going with meat cooked from raw.

What does you week look like? Have you experimented with weight gaining formulas, or any other strategies to gain weight but avoid gaining fat? Leave a comment below!

1. Gaining muscle with Occam's Protocol – calories matter For anyone who has wanted to have a bit, or a lot more muscle, you'll know that the world is full of promises and photos of guys with abs. The Occam's Protocol workouts...
  2. LOMAD – Occam’s Protocol – does it work? I wrote recently about things seeming to stop moving upwards, for a week or so, and so I set out to tackle this problem with a few solutions. The most obvious change was...
  3. 10 Occam’s Workouts done – Occam’s Protocol Results If you're wondering whether the Occam's Protocol workouts can really get results, and if it's worth trying them, consider this: my punchcard cost less than $100, and my total gym time so far...

39 Responses to 25,000 Calories – 1 week of Occam's Protocol meals

• james says:

Why didn’t you have a cheat day?

Hi James,

With the Occam’s Feeding regime, and the workouts, it’s a little grey as to whether or not to do cheat days. So some weeks I do, some weeks I don’t. In fact one week I did the opposite, and had a half-calorie day. This is based on Tim’s mentioning a semi-fasting day when he did his Geek to Freak experiment, as lowering calories once a week prevents protein uptake downregulation.

• Jones says:

Regarding the “cheat day”, I remember Tim mentioning in “The Lost Art of Binging” that the air squats and stuff you do before binging are designed to “not screw up training”. That makes the binging days sound like a part of the training regime.
        But maybe I’m just trying to feel good because I just had my cheat day :)
        Have you gained a lot of fat during your Occam’s Protocol experience?

You’re right, that’s an interesting observation. There are plenty of areas in the book that are contradictory, and most likely everyone has slight variations based on interpretation. I have had weeks with cheat days, and weeks without while doing Occam’s Protocol – probably 60% with cheat days. I like the mental break to be honest. I try to make it a workout day, so more of the food energy is going into muscles.
          I didn’t gain much fat with my first round, but took a week or so on slow carb after gaining 13 pounds total, and dropped 1 or 2 pounds back, to feel like I was at a settled weight. Now I’m working on gaining again and again planning to eat as much as needed, so I expect to gain a few pounds of fat, but more pounds of muscle.

• Anthony says:

Hi I was also at a plateau too and needed to consume 3900 cals per day to escape it. I enjoyed the article and it’s given some great meal ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Do you post your progress pictures anywhere? Maybe a B4 & Aft collection?

Hey Anthony,

This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Looking back, it’s hard to imagine I was eating so much, but at that point the gains I got really were worth all that eating.
        Currently, I don’t post before and after photos, with the specific reason that I don’t ever wanted to be used as an idol or a benchmark for achievement – every person is different, and the genetics I was born with are unique to me. I think it’s unfair of those with knowledge to also suggest that all their results come from that knowledge and the habits they have, when in a lot of cases their genetics plays a strong part. I’m not naturally gifted with a highly efficient (muscle cell biased) nutrient partitioning, however I still would not like any one else comparing their results to mine directly, I hope that makes sense.

• glenn says:

Great info Luke!

I’m starting my Occam’s today as a matter of fact. Took my Bodpod Last week Friday. I’m logging my food intake as well. Up to this minute, since I woke up at 7am, I’ve consumed 2292 Calories and 196g Protein, 256g Carbs. I have the exact meal breakdown. I would sure but I’m at work and have to hurry LOL I haven’t tracked Fat though. No particular reason. I start my workout A today.

How consistent have you been with the once a week 50% decrease in calories?

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your comment.

Good timing, and I can see your commitment level is serious, which is great.

I haven’t been too consistent with the 50% decrease for a couple of reasons.
      1/ The first week I did it, I was really starting to feel the effects of eating so much, so;
      2/ After the next week of eating, I dropped back to bare bones slow carb, which I figured would be decrease enough. I stuck with slow carb for 1.5 weeks, until I was just feeling ‘good’ again, and the weight felt like it had ‘settled’ in me (ie not fluctuating too much)
      3/ I plan to do another 50% day next week, as I will be fully engaged in eating up to 3500 calories per day, as I embark on my next 10lb gaining run. This one is especially exciting – it will get me over my glass ceiling of 170lbs.

I’d be interested to hear how your results are – tracking everything is going to give you great intelligence on your food, and what you can fine tune.

• Ernie says:

I’d love for someone to tell me where in the book it says to drop calories by 50% while doing Occam’s. The only references I can find are on the web and not direct quotes from Tim Ferriss.

Hi Ernie, thanks for your comment.

The book doesn’t mention the 50% day for Occam’s, or for Geek to Freak. Here’s how I see it:
        Tim introduces his Geek to Freak experiment, as a lead into the Occam’s Protocol method of weights, and eating, so he doesn’t go into as much detail in Geek to Freak, as what is explained in his post on his blog (Link here). On that post, he quite clearly states: Eat enormous quantities of protein (much like my current fat-loss diet) with low-glycemic index carbohydrates like quinoa, but drop calories by 50% one day per week to prevent protein uptake downregulation.

As the Geek to Freak prescription is less specific than the Occam’s Workouts, it is more open to interpretation, and a know of a few different versions floating around between various 4HB followers.

I don’t feel dropping calories is totally necessary, however, there is a lot of substantial proof (www.leangains.com) that the body responds well (growing muscle and burning fat) to not having the same amount of calories every day, or across the day, every single day regularly. It seems that it is possible to work with some of the body’s systems to actually introduce more fat loss, however it is highly scientific and I have to admit my eyes got crossed a few times while I read and tried to digest all that information.

The 4HB is about keeping it simple, and Occam’s is definitely aimed at that. As I approached 25,000 calories in a week, however, my digestive system was getting such a workout that a 50% calorie day was well appreciated.

• Jones says:

Great to read of another’s experience with this! I’ve just started the protocol this week, although some things still seem unclear.
    1. If we’re adding a “white” carb to two meals a day, is it OK to have bread as that “white” carb? Instead of rice perhaps?
    2. When you talk about “half a protein shake” that you take in the morning and before bed, do you take half of that “demon” shake, or is it just a whey powder and milk? If so, how much milk do you have in “half a shake”. And when should we take “the demon”?
    Up until now i took half of “the demon” in the morning, and half before bed, but maybe I understood the book wrong…

Hey Jones,
      1/ It’s not exactly white carbs. Though some bulkers will use any carbs, we’re aiming to not gain fat, or minimize it at least.
      So, we go with brown rice or quinoa, both have protein, fibre and are more complex carbs than bread or pasta which will spike your blood sugar and potentially lead to fat gain.
      2/ The morning and evening shakes, I’ve been doing with milk or water, depending on caloric requirements. It all depends on how many calories you need and what you’re eating in food, whether you need to have the heavy shake morning and night. I was eating more food so didn’t need to.

• Jamie says:

Hey, I’ve been doing the eating program on the slow carb diet for about 4 weeks and have lost about 9 pounds. I’ve got about 9 more to lose to get to my goal this next month and I’m looking for the best exercise to lose fat while working out. I don’t need to gain a ton of muscle just trying to cut the fat (at about 14% now) down to about 10%. Do you recommend the geek to freak or the protocol for this purpose?

ps. im a canadian but currently based in a country where you cant get a kettle-bell and gyms are hard to come by, just found one so thats why I’m starting the workout part this week.

thanks a lot for your help!

• Pingback: The Dark Secret of Occam’s Protocol

• Richard says:

Great sight Luke,
    Getting loads of tips to assist me in my first attempt of Occams P. however due to my job requirements I need to incorporate some cardio training. Is this possible during the program if so, what do you recommend and how often.
    Secondly if you are able to juggle both, is there a need to increase calorie intake even further to compensate the expelled energy used during any additional cardio workouts.

Hi Richard,
      Thanks so much! If you want to incorporate some cardio, keep in mind that it’s best to not use a body part that you’ve just recently trained. So if you’ve done leg weights, don’t run for the next couple of days, as an example.
      I would recommend the 20 minute fast cardio sessions, twice a week – they will work in with the Occam’s Protocol workouts. You can check out the details here – http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com/2011/07/20/learning-fast-effective-cardio-from-a-body-master/
      I would add extra calories to account for this training – perhaps 200-300 extra on those days. Remember that Occam’s is designed to be totally focused on adding muscle as quick as possible, and the results may not be equivalent if cardio is added.

• James says:

I must say that I’m a little disappointed with the lack of info & some gray areas in the “Geek toFreak” chapter in the book but, overall it’s still a great book. My question would have to be on the “Geek to Freak” diet
    1. What diet do we eat? Is it simply Tim’s “current fat loss diet” with a few tweaks?
    2. What are the recommended amounts of carbs & fats you should be eating when doing Geek to Freak?

I’m just about to start the geek to freak regimen but, I want to make sure I have everything right

Hey James,
      You’re right about the lack of detail, but it is an excellent book. There’s a little more info on Tim’s blog post about his Geek to Freak experiment, though not much more.
      1/ Basically he suggests a slow carb diet, with added quinoa and perhaps some whey protein shakes.
      2/ I don’t think there’s a recommended amount in grams/cup measures, but I was using around 1 cup of beans per meal, 1/4 – 1/3 cup of brown rice (before cooking). As far as fats go, slow carb is inherently quite low fat, so I would stick to that. Taking some fish oil tablets daily is a good idea, however.

All the best with it James,

• Chris says:

Thanks for all the exact info, ive just finished my first week of slow carb with my first 2 occams workouts, and my goal is to gain muscle mass. Reading this has made me realise that for my size i am vastly under eating! luckily i am only a week in so have not wasted much time.

Time to add more shakes, milk, peanut butter, try lentils and brown rice, more spinach i think.

thanks for the info.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your comment!
      I’m glad this article helped you out- it’s easy to under-eat, especially if previously you’ve ever been focused more on fat loss than muscle gain. Sometimes the amount of food just doesn’t seem ‘right’.

• Abhimanyu Ardagh says:

hey Chris,

i am reading food log and having trouble seeing how this translates to 3600 calories a day!

Curious what your serving sizes are?

abhimanyu Ardagh

As to serving sizes – to get this many calories, you may need to go as high as 2 cups of beans at one meal. This is a lot of food! Consider eating red split lentils instead, as they tend to be easier to digest. Also, in the meals with rice and beans, it was around 1 cup beans, 1/3 cup (dry) brown rice.
      All the best with it!

• Abhimanyu Ardagh says:

I have recently changed my diet from 4 to 5 meals a day, while trying to reach 3,500+ calories .
    i was eating a lot of beans, 8 cups a day, but then realized that my fiber intake is at about 125g a day…
    should i be dropping some beans? ha

Hey thanks for your question. If you’re trying to pack in that many calories, I assume it’s for muscle growth? Ideally, probably switch some of the beans for brown rice, or quinoa, as per the book’s recommendation for muscle development. Note that this needs balancing – the more rice you use instead of beans, the more likely fat gain will result. So adjust according to your body – everyone’s is different with how they response to carbohydrates.

• GrahamB says:

Hi Luke

I believe the Geek-to-freak/Occam’s protocol is based on the work of mike mentzer.

A sad side story to this is that mike mentzer died prematurely, aged 49, due to heart complications. Do you have any info as to why he died so young?

Hi Graham,

I think Tim’s workout suggestions are based on a few difference sources, Mike Mentzer included. He also mentions Body By Science, by Doug McGuff and John Little (who previously co-authored a book with Mentzer), which is a recently-published examination of practicalities and results of minimalist training, backed by plenty of scientific evidence. It is a terrific read.
      I’m not sure about Mentzer’s death, though I’m sure it has little to do with his principles of gaining muscle, etc, so your question seems less related to these workouts. He was renowned to have used a lot of amphetamines, for a long period of time, and had numerous breakdowns. That level of physical and mental stress will no doubt have a toll on people, and who knows, he may have been predisposed to a heart condition before all of that.
      By all accounts though, his principles of training did provide a solid foundation in the bodybuilding world, and some lessons have crossed over into mainstream practicality now.

• Sam says:

First i would just like to say that im loving the website! Loads of helpful content which clears up some ambiguities in the book.
    I have been reading a lot about nutrition and exercise the last few months with the aim of finding the ” perfect” recipe for muscle growth and fat reduction. So far my quest has lead me to many places- coming across the primal blueprint, body by science, drew baye and now the fourhourbody.

When i started the slow carb/primal diet for a while- i did manage to loose about 5kilos which was great. However i encountered two problems: one being that i reached a plateau where it seemed my last bit of body fat didnt want to budge. I would estimate i got down to around 13/14 per cent body fat but my goal is ideally around 10 per cent ( abs clearly visible). Second problem is that i think i lost some muscle along in the process. People commented on how i looked skinny! (which was a first)

So for the last week i have now been putting occams protocal in to work, eating on around 3600-4000 calories per day doing the geek to freak workouts. Ive concluded so far that while some gains have been made in the gym, i have definitely put back on some of the fat i lost too. I have decided to change the workout to the 3rd option Tim gives in an effort to minimize fat gains (getting as much of the glut 4 windows). Im about 80kg now at 5ft 11 and want to reach around 85kg with 10 per cent body fat.

So my questions are:
    1: Any advice on fat plateaus?
    2: Can you do the slow carb diet and loose fat without any muscle loss?
    3: The average breakdown of my calories has been fat 50 %( 95 % GOOD FAT FROM MILK, AVOCADO, ANIMAL FAT ETC) protein 30 % carbs 20%- is this ok?
    4: Do you have a suggestion as to how i can measure my muscle gains effectively?

Keep up the good work!

Hi Sam,
      Thanks for your comment!
      Really glad you’ve found help from our website.
      1/ I suggest sticking at everything the same for around 2-3 weeks, and seeing if things change. If not, then change routine. Your weights are an excellent idea – and if people commented you looked skinny, then your muscle mass may not be that high (though your weight and height suggests otherwise, or perhaps your bodyfat estimate is a bit optimistic)
      2/ Technically I would expect yes. For that to happen, you would need to be going a little heavier on the protein than the minimums – for you, perhaps around 170g/day. And you’d also need to be weight training 2-3x per week, which you are. Weight training may have a muscle sparing effect if adequate protein is available.
      3/ Looks like too high on the fat, not enough carbs. I don’t work with ratios at all, but form your meals from beans/lentils, green veg and low fat protein. If you’re taking in around 10-15g fat per meal, 30-40g carb and 40-50g protein, that gives you around 400 – 550 calories per meal – eat 4 per day.
      4/ A BodyMetrix device is an incredible measurement device, however very expensive. Try combining a weigh in with a skinfold caliper test, and do the math on lean body mass (total minus fat) – that should show gains. Also use measurements on areas where skinfolds are low already, which should show muscle gain.

Cheers and all the best!

• Sam says:

Thanks very much for the quick reply! That makes sense about eating enough protein and continuing weights to maintain muscle-two things i dont think i was doing enough of when i starting loosing weight so thanks for that .

You said i am perhaps too high on fat. This is where i get confused as i have been following for the most part a paleo like diet (which has fat making up around 60-70 per cent of the diet) with minimal carbs. It actually says lentils and beans are not ideal( our body has not evolved enough to deal with these nutrients properly) For gaining lean mass perhaps more carbs are needed to fuel muscle growth?
    As I thought carbs wanted to be avoided as much as possible to avoid insulin levels rising too high and thus storing fat?

Yes i have infact tried a caliper test- the problem is that my body fat percentage would vary quite a bit depending on the measurement technique. For example, using Pollock 7 i had 8.35 % , pollock 3 was 7.67% Parillo was 25.29% Durin was 13.31% Tape measure 15.52%. So i found myself quite frustrated with these results!

Lastly with regards to occams protocol- i hardly ever feel i have really exhausted my muscles. But when i do my one set till failure i honestly do push it until failure, and obviously for a minute or two after there are exhausted but its the fact that half an hour later i feel i could do another 3 sets.
    Can it be negative to do each exercise 2 sets till failure?

Hi Sam,

You’re welcome! Sorry it’s not always so speedy.
      It sounds like you’re pretty technical with this, and keen to pay a lot of attention to it. Based on that fact, I’d actually suggest you read a little more into the science behind slow carb, paleo, etc, rather than trying to follow someone else’s plan. I’ve personally appreciated knowing the science behind them, rather than just using someone’s methods. Check out Lyle McDonald and his info on cyclical ketogenic diets, and targeted ketogenic diets – the latter may give you the result you want. Also check out Martin’s Leangains website.
      If you’re wanting to gain muscle, insulin is necessary. Therefore, limiting it all the time may not give you the results at the gym you want. Hence Tim adding brown rice to meals.
      With regards to pushing to failure – I can appreciate where you’re coming from because I used to love the feeling of truly being exhausted after a workout. The key to muscle growth isn’t this feeling of exhaustion however – that feeling is most likely linked to ‘burning out’ most of the stored glycogen in your muscles. Minimal workouts focus on the science of muscle growth – that a muscle needs to reach positive failure over a period of 80-120 seconds to be stimulated to grow. Any more work after that is purely work for work’s sake – not ideal.
      If you like feeling exhausted, include a couple of interval workouts in your training schedule – but allow at least a full day’s rest after weights before you get into them, and try to not use related muscles to workouts you’re still recovering from. For example, do the workout that doesn’t use legs on Monday, then on Wednesday do an interval sprints session of 20 minutes. Then do you legs workout Thursday, and you might do some swim intervals on Saturday for example.
      Always allow adequate time for recovery!

• Sam says:

Sorry- the page cut me off before i finished my reply…
    So i just want to feel as though ive really pushed my muscles to the end. Something which i did feel when doing geek to freak

Thanks again for your help

• Ismael says:

I have a question regarding the meal plan. I started the Occam protocol yesterday and I have a hard time eating the beans at each meal. I tried a lot of different ones (black Beans, Red kidney beans, navy beans, white beans) and I simply can’t eat them. I just hate the taste. I can force myself to eat them once or twice a day but I was wondering if I could eat something else? Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Ismael,
      For some people, beans can be a difficult flavor. Are you using canned beans, salted or not salted? Or raw beans cooked up? There is a big variety in the flavor of beans, according to how they are prepared. For example, I really don’t like canned beans with no added salt, because their flavor tends to be quite stark. Realistically, beans are a major part of the Occam’s protocol method, however you might want to re-read the chapters and check out how protein bars were used for one example.
      My advice is to stick with Low-GI foods and stick with meals, don’t snack too much as a meal combined with high fibre carbohydrates, plus protein, plus vegies plus good fats will digest nice and slowly.