Is it too late to lose fat for summer?
Health is great all year round. Feeling fit feels good whether its raining, snowing or sunny. But let’s face it: a lot of us look at the summer months as a milestone, or marker in the future, and use it as a springboard for motivation, for a reason to get started and stick at a program, with a view to those golden months in the middle of the year, when we’ll be outside, enjoying the weather, catching up with friends and maybe even showing a little more skin than we might in the dark depths of January. So if it’s the middle of July, is it too late to lose weight for this summer? I say no, and if you disagree, I’m going to change your mind.
Whether your fighting fit and just trimming some winter pounds off, or if you’re on a big journey like some of our Couples Challenge couples, there’s no doubt that the summery months of July and August hold a special kind of importance, for all sorts of reasons.
Firstly, summer weather is about getting outdoors, and enjoying what’s on offer, and that could mean hiking, camping, boating, fishing, swimming or enjoying a bbq at a friend’s place. All of these are more fun when you’re not concerned about your weight, and when you’re feeling good in a body that likes to be active.
Secondly, many people consider their weight in terms of how other people see them, and it’s true that during the hot season, people will see more of you.
So, how could I be suggesting that it’s not too late, when we are in the midst of summer already?
Well, here’s what I’m thinking. Though your goal may be small or large, and your current situation could be very different from mine, or the guy next to you at work, there’s a few common elements of the weight loss journey that apply to everyone. Let’s take a look at them:
- When you are eating healthily, you have more energy, and this shows in your face. You might not even realize how much this shows, until you start getting questions about if you’ve been doing something different, or done your haircut in a new style. When your body feels good, you feel good, and this shows where people notice it the most – your face.
- When you start on a fat loss program, like slow carb, you are immediately taken from the category of ‘person who would like to change their weight’ to ‘person that is changing their weight’. This is incredibly inspiring, and has a power to it that generates confidence, and energy. You know that you’ve changed your path, and people will pick up on that.
- The perceivable difference, in weight loss terms, that the majority of people tend to notice, is around 10 lbs. I don’t have science to back this up, but I know from personal experience, and plenty of discussions with people on weight loss journeys that this is when the comments start rolling in. That’s the point where not just your close friends notice you look different, but where random coworkers, and other people you see from time to time, start noticing that you look different.
- Side effects from a healthy eating regime are endless, and can include injuries fixing themselves (such as plantar fasciitis) due to less inflammation, pain-related chronic ailments reducing, internal health issues like celiac disease being accommodated for, deeper sleep, less stress. All of these mean you feel, but also look, like a different person. It doesn’t matter if your arm measurement hasn’t changed this week. You will look different in your eyes, skin, complexion, and behavior.
So then, take a look at the above 4 points, and think about how long each one takes before you start seeing results.
- Eating healthily and feeling good – within the first 2 weeks
- Confidence from changing your direction – day 1
- Perceivable difference – 10lbs loss – most likely between weeks 2 and 6.
- Side effects – from day 1 in some cases, for others, over the first 6 weeks.
So, I count 12 full weeks of summer remaining on the calendar. How much could you achieve, and still have over a month of summer left? Or maybe more??
There’s one way to find out, if you haven’t started already, and if you’re already making progress with slow carb, kettlebells, or other workouts, then keep it up! Those great benefits are coming to you, and there’s no doubt that you’ll enjoy the results.
Have you been surprised about how long some benefits came after you started slow carb? Or are you concerned you aren’t making progress as fast as you’d like? Leave a comment below!
You might be interested in reading these too:
- Relax and lose fat on slow carb? Have you been feeling a little on edge lately? Perhaps just a little overwhelmed? Or maybe there's a couple of things in your otherwise great world that are eating away at you, that...
- 4HB Video chat to discuss with friends Picture this: you are thinking about the slow carb diet. Maybe you've started it, maybe you're 2 months in, or maybe you're looking at the beans at the grocery store. You start chatting...
- The Truth: Low Carb vs Slow Carb I write to you today at the end of an experiment. Ready to present the results. However, I'm a little worried about what it might do. You see, for the last 2 weeks,...