Delicious Slow Carb Soup recipe
With the weather turning cool, the leaves falling off the trees, and the wind starting to blow a chill into the air, thoughts turn to those Thanksgiving-time comfort foods. But how on earth can you stick with slow carb when all the soup recipes have starchy vegetables, flour, and other off-plan ingredients? Here’s how, and it’s simple AND delicious.
On a cool fall afternoon (a Sunday in October to be precise), I came home with cold ears, a chill down my back and realized that a slow carb meal of beans, eggs and greens wasn’t going to cut it.
I needed something that would give me some warmth in my belly, and satisfy my craving.
So here’s what I came up with – it may not be the prettiest soup (though could be with some green onions on top), but it is delicious, and covers all the bases for a complete slow carb meal. (One thing to watch out for with soups is how filling they are, when they usually deliver very little food energy and leave you hungry a couple of hours later).
This is a perfect option for batch cooking, but I made a personal-sized pot for lunch. Simply multiply out the recipe if you want more portions.
Total time – around 20 minutes
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (mainly chicken breast)
- 1 little chicken stock cube (avoid any with flour, or gluten)
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (yellow and orange in my case by any works)
- 1/2 cup dry red split lentils (smaller folks you might prefer 1/3 cup)
- about 1.5 cups of water
- 1 egg
- small handful of frozen peas (these are in the grey zone for slow carb, but in this quantity are fine)
- heat up the water to near boiling
- add the stock cube, red split lentils, chicken
- stir to ensure all the lentils are underwater
- cook for around 5 minutes
- add the bell pepper, peas and egg
- stir again to ensure the egg is distributed
- cook for around another 10 minutes
- check on consistency (see photo below) and add a small amount of water if the pot is almost getting dry
- serve up and enjoy!
And there it is, simple, delicious and perfect to enjoy on a chilly day. I might make a full batch for the week!
You might be interested in reading these too:
- 5 Delicious Four Hour Body Breakfast Ideas and Recipes Eating the same things over and over again can get boring sometimes, which is why we came up with some variations for breakfast, that are easy to make and taste delicious! We have...
- Recipe: Easiest Slow Carb Meals Ever (Slow carb slice) Need the absolute easiest way to have slow carb meals every day, so you can lose weight more easily and spend less time making meals? This one recipe could save you hours every...
- 5 Reasons Slow Carb kicks the Cabbage Soup Diet in the ass I've done the cabbage soup diet. I'm not a write-about-it-but-never-do-it kind of guy. So, I know the endless slicing and dicing, the boiling, and the desperate search for some new kind of herb...